Sharpening Your Presentation Skills
Regardless of the nature of our job or social standing, sooner or later we will be called upon to make a presentation of one sort or the other. To sharpen your skills, whet your audience's appetite, and educate them, organize your presentation by keeping them in mind. To help you do just that, here are some tips to consider:
* Have an inviting opening. Greet your audience with a statement that conveys your genuine pleasure in seeing them and in being there.
* Summarize your main points. Inform your audience from the beginning about the structure of your presentation. When you do, they more likely will follow your presentation until its close. They will, consequently, be better able to follow each successive point as you develop it.
* Back your main points with examples, statistics, or facts. Caution: Be careful of overwhelming the audience by turning it into a scientific or technical presentation when presenting to a general audience.
* Design simple, yet convincing visuals that your audience can understand and interpret quickly.
* End with a strong conclusion that invites your audience to take immediate action or seek follow-up.
* Handle questions openly and honestly, admitting when you don't have an answer, but, at the same time, promising to get back to your audience, or the individual, when you do.
Follow these tips, and I guarantee that you will see progress in your presentation skills that will lead to successful outcomes.
Remember: When you maximize your potential, everyone wins. hen you don't, we all lose.
© Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW
PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH: This article may be republished in ezines, newsletters, and on web sites provided attribution is provided to the author, and it appears with the included copyright, resource box and live web site link. Email notice of intent to publish is appreciated but not required. Mail to: email@example.com.
Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW, Management Consultant and Trainer, conducts seminars, lectures, and writes articles on his theme: "... helping you maximize your potential." He offers management and marketing resources at www.maximizingyourpotential.blogspot.com">http://www.maximizingyourpotential.blogspot.com.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Presentation on climate change and gardening set for June 26Billings GazetteAccording to a press release from the MSU Extension office, informative and entertaining presentations and garden tours will address how the changing climate is impacting gardens, as well as offer tips on how to adjust to these changes and insight for ...
Why This Time It May Be Different for Kinder Morgan StockYahoo FinanceAnd the balance sheet is getting better, with the company targeting a 5.1x net leverage ratio. That's a somewhat high figure but not unusual for the industry. Per a Williams Companies (NYSE:WMB) presentation last month, the industry average is about 4.7x.and more »
5 tips to craft an exceptional PowerPoint presentationPR DailyThe keynote speaker at a well-known conference had decades of experience, a clear message, great stage presence and a truly cringeworthy presentation. Every other slide featured clip art, stock photos or dancing GIFs. I don't remember the message of ...