Tips to Energize Your Presentations
"There can be no knowledge without emotion. We may be aware of a truth, yet until we have felt its force, it is not ours. To the cognition of the brain must be added the experience of the soul."
- Arnold Bennett (1867-1931)
Ask yourself, "What is the audience feeling?" and "How would I like him/her to feel?" You need to be aware of:
How frequently you use positive emotional words.
How you moderate the use of negative emotional words.
Here are some ways that you can help your audience interact with each other.
- Room set-up. Be sure people face each other so they can talk to each other. Use round tables, rather than theatre or classroom style.
- Don't permit cliques. Get your participants to sit with new people. Be innovative in your approach to seat people differently. Some examples: Use a colorful post it, group by hair color, or place cards.
- Use icebreakers. You can ask your audience to say a word that describes their week. Give them something else to talk about other than business when the meeting breaks.
- Setup small groups or dyads to discuss issues. This technique will get your participants to brainstorm with their partner or group.
Coaching point: Forced interaction engages people. What can be more fun?
Register for a free teleclass on "How To Be a Better Public Speaker Immediately"; Thursday, August 26, 2004 from 7-8 p.m. EST. Register by sending an email to: email@example.com.
Publishing Guidelines: You are welcome to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print fre*e of charge, as long as you include my full signature file for ezines, and my Web site address(www.schrift.com" target="_new">http://www.schrift.com) in hyperlink for other sites. Please send a courtesy link or email where you publish to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
COPYRIGHT: ©2004 by Sandra Schrift. All rights reserved
Article URL: www.schrift.com/article_37.htm" target="_new">http://www.schrift.com/article_37.htm
Article Autoresponder: email@example.com
About The Author
Sandra Schrift 13 year speaker bureau owner and now career coach to emerging and veteran public speakers who want to "grow" a profitable speaking business. I also work with business professionals and organizations who want to master their presentations.
Get more speaking skills at our "Summer Sizzle" webpage: www.schrift.com/summer_sizzle.htm" target="_new">http://www.schrift.com/summer_sizzle.htm
Join my free bi-weekly Monday Morning Mindfulness ezine www.schrift.com/monday.htm" target="_new">http://www.schrift.com/monday.htm
What's your best presentation skills tip? ABA Journal
Practice improves presentation, says lawyer and author Faith Pincus. That holds for any attorney, not just the litigator. In the most recent podcast of the Modern ...
Council Gets School Budget Presentation Winthrop Transcript
The Town Council continued talking with department heads during Tuesday night's meeting, hearing from the officials from school department, town clerk, ...